Manufactured by : Beximco Pharmaceuticals LTD
Dosage form: Powder for Suspension
Each 15 ml prepared suspension contain:
Azithromycin is an antibiotic. It belongs to a group of antibiotics called macrolides. It is used to treat infections caused by bacteria.
This medicine is usually prescribed to treat:
• chest infections such as chronic bronchitis, pneumonia
• infections of the tonsils, throat (pharyngitis) and sinuses
• ear infections (acute otitis media)
• skin and soft tissue infections, with exception of infected burn wounds
• urethra and cervix infections caused by chlamydia.
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Adults and children weighing more than 45 kg:
Azithromycin is taken as a 3 or 5 day course
• 3 day course: Take 12.5 ml (500 mg) once each day
• 5 day course:
– Take 12.5 ml (500 mg) on Day 1
– Take 6.25 ml (250 mg) on Days 2, 3, 4 and 5
For urethra and cervix infections caused by Chlamydia, it is taken as a 1 day course:
• 1 day course: 25 ml (1,000 mg).
The dosage for the treatment of sore throat is an exception. Your doctor may prescribe a different dosage.
Children weighing less than 45 kg
Azithromycin is not suitable for use in children under the age of 1 year.
Azithromycin is taken as a 3 or 5 day course. The daily amount is worked out according to the weight of the child.